From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:17:01 -0400
Bob

I'm full of one liners after doing this for many years. Folks ask about
the mark on the queen and how it got there. I explain how we mark
queens and then I say after I got my queen marked I chased my wife
down in the back yard and put a similar mark on her too since she is
my real queen bee! I also mention that she's not aware its there since
she has not looked into the mirror to see the back of her neck for a
while!

The ladies love that one.

And another one to reply to the inevitable question I get tired of "do you
ever get stung?" to which I reply sure but I'd rather be stung by a bee
then a woman, The sting only last a few minutes from a bee but if my
wife stings me the pain might linger for days weeks or even months!
The guys are like yeh I know what you're talking about man.

Beleive it or not we get all kinds of questions, some of my favorites are
"where is the sugar free honey?" or whats up with the bees why do you
have them here. I look at the table and say they make honey and about
once every 2 years the response is really?  thought you cooked that
up from a family recipe or something!!!!!!!! Earth to customer come in
over.

What you learn is that common knowledge is a misnomer, we have a
lot of people in the U.S. who are not really in touch with farming of
nature anymore.

We have a large Asian and African immigrant population here in the
twin cities who are big buyers of honey especially comb. Their most
frequent question relative to bottled honey is "is that natural honey or
is it pure or is that bee honey? " The prevelance of adultered honey in
their homeland is so common place that they distrust all honey. The
hive really becomes a credibility factor and they are much more
trusting that I have real honey to sell.

This gets back to the grocery store, cooked, slum that's mixed with
overseas honey.  Its so far from a raw small batch honey that they
figure the grocery store stuff is bogus too. Its really been quite
interesting and entertaining selling direct to the public in a large metro
area.

Brian

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:58:30 -0500, Bob Harrison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello Brian &amp; All,
>Thanks for the idea! I also do a large farmers market. This Saturday
is a
>contest for the best Fall Harvest Fest decorated booth. I plan on
winning
>first place but will be happy with 2nd. or third.
>Bob
>
>-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info
---

Bob