Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:31:37 -0400
> Strict guidelines should be established for the rotation of different
> antibiotic treatments, to prolong their effectiveness as controls. These
> methods should be integrated with those controlling other honey bee pests
> and pathogens to minimize the long-term cost and effort of maintaining
> healthy, vigorous colonies.

My contention all along has been that the emergence of OTC resistance was
related to the banning of sulfathiazole.  Sulfa is a most effective control,
but has other, unrelated problems to do with human health that led to its
prohibition.

When sulfa and OTC were both in use, we never saw resistance, but when OTC
had to go it alone, we did.  Now, with Tylan as an alternate we are seeing
less AFB problems again.