Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:50:59 -0800
> It seems to me right and proper that Governments, like the
> EU, lay down rules that define what organic honey is within
> their frontiers. The alternative would lead to a multitude
> of businesses ‘selling’ certifications which would
> become meaningless, confusing, and open to corruption.

Certifications can be and are issued for many industries in the private sector. Underwriter Laboratories, for example, has been certifying the safety and quality of various goods for over a century. You'll find the ubiquitous UL label on everything from toasters to computer monitors. Consumer Reports is another example, this one in the non-profit arena.

As for corruption, government agencies take this to a whole new level.

Eugene Makovec
St. Peters, Missouri USA