From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:19:39 -0800
Juanse Barros wrote:

> Robbin Thorp has *hypothesized* that these bumble bee colonies
> acquired a disease

> Dr. Thorp *hypothesizes* that the disease then spread to wild

> I wonder if it is proved or only hypothesized the link with Nosema bombi?

Hypothesized only, Juanse. I am not aware of any insect pathologist
who supports this Xerces petition
http://www.xerces.org/press-releases/aphis-petition.html that would
impose onerous restrictions on the interstate movement of bumblebees and
require breeder's shipments to be inspected and certified as
"disease free."

Likewise in regard to the recent Xerces Policy Statement that would
prohibit moving native migratory butterflies like the Monarch and
Painted across County lines WITHIN States in the USA:
http://www.xerces.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/xerces-butterfly-release-policy.pdf

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.