From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:22:51 -0700
HI All,

Prelim report for my nosema trial of 7 types of  treatments.  64 colonies,
randomized 8 groups, 7 treatments & controls.  All had high spore counts in
fall, and most were failing.  Two treatments, except drenches, which got 4.

I've been too buried to do all the sample counts (before, during, after) but
will soon.
But doing quick field scope check, spot checks of survivors indicated most
still had moderate spore counts, regardless of treatment.
A few colonies had low counts, again didn't see correlation with treatment.

What is interesting to me is that the yard is now divided between recovered
colonies that are exploding and look great (supered up, at least one swarmed
huge), and really sick colonies that are suffering with unknown brood
disease (samples going in for viral check Mon).

A few with only a good looking queen with a tiny patch of good looking brood
and a handful of bees.  Will be checking those for spores hopefully
tomorrow.

The point is, that the recovery of dinks is amazing me.  In most of my
yards, when we moved to almonds, we left one or two colonies that had only
2-3 frames and that we didn't expect to survive the rest of winter.  But
when we returned to those yards this month to restock with nucs, many of the
expected deadouts were thriving!

This is just a report, no answers.  Just dang curious.

Randy Oliver
Curious in Californa