From:
Paul Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 07:23:04 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Ray Nabors
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Dear reader,
>        The easiest method of making a follower board is to buy 1 X and cut it
>to length. I know, I am using many of these at the moment. I like follower
>boards because they make hive inspection simple. Each hive should have only 1.
>did say 1 and only 1. The board is cut to the size of the frame from end bar to
>end bar. Standard lumber is used. Nails properly placed in each end will
>suspend
>the board without the need to make any cuts except to length. The board comes
>out first when you inspect the bees. Set the board aside and examine each
>frame.
>The first frame out of the hive goes where the follower board was. Place each
>inspected frame in until you have gone completely through the hive box. Replace
>the follower board on the other side of the frames. That is why we call it a
>follwer board, it follows the frames back into the hive. A 1 X 6 works for
>shallow boxes, a 1X8 for mediums and a 1 X 10 for deeps. The prospect of using
>two of these boards that are 3/8 inch thick is unnecessary and defeats the
>purpose which is to make hive inspection more quick and easy. Only 1 is needed
>and that is all you should use.

What you call "follower boards" appears to be the same thing that we
call "Dummy boards" over here in the UK. I have made some myself from
3/8" ply and a strip of wood nailed to the top to act as a top bar. I
know that suppliers such as Steele & Brodie (Steele&[log in to unmask])
and Thornes ([log in to unmask]) offer these in their catalogues. If
you can't order from these suppliers direct, you might try one of their
agents.
--
Paul Walton
Email   : [log in to unmask]