From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:16:48 -0700

> >Remember, the honey stomach (before the work of Tobias and Alejandra), was
> considered sterile (no bacteria present).

I don't remember this.  Could you please cite any reference for this
assertion?

> >The fact that feeding sugar affects the microbial culture in the hive in
> undeniable.

Could you please give us a citation for this?

Re sugar syrup feeding, it may be of interest to quote Nayudu ( 2009):
"Bacillus and Pseudomonas species were
marked with antibiotic resistance and fed to bees in apiaries in sugar
solution. It was found that high
numbers of bee gut bacteria could be maintained while regular feeding
occurred. However there was a
marked decline of the introduced bacteria over a period of time as soon as
feeding stopped. This
occurred more rapidly during summer feeding, compared to winter feeding."

> You have lots of other good questions, Dean, which we have gone over
before.  I'm eager to see what the Tucson lab finds.

Randy Oliver