From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 08:28:24 -0700
Eric makes a good point.  I continue to get quite a few responses and  this
seems to be a fairly widespread problem.  If you are not affected by the
problem and have not yet started deleting these notes based on the subject
line, you might want to do so.  I'll try to encapsulate what I know about
the problem so far.  It was enough to solve the problem for me, and
hopefully will allow us to put the subject to rest.

1. people whose recieved notes have the unwanted attachment.
2. people who are getting complaints from others about the attachments on
their     notes.
3.people who don't have any attachments and say there's no problem for
them.

I've noticed that some Pegasus users fall into category 1 and some Eudora
users and Netscape Mail users do too.  Other users of each of these
browsers are in category 3.  I haven't gotten consistent data from everyone
but generally the older versions have the problem and the newer ones don't.
 For example, Pegasus 2.4 reported in category 1 but Pegasus 3.1 reported
in category 3.

I don't really know what causes the problem exactly, but it seems to have
something to do with the text attributes of the sent mail and whether or
not the receiving browser can handle them.  MS Exchange has a sort of word
processor interface that allows you to change fonts, tab text, insert
graphics, etc.   I don't know if the formatting instructions are an actual
attachment or not in MSE, but some (older?) browsers appear to think so at
any rate.

SO the bottom line is, If you're in category 1, be sure you're using the
latest possible version of your browser, and if you're  in category 2, see
if you can find a browser to use that doesn't do fancy formatting on your
notes.  I switched to MS Internet Mail because it has an easy migration
path to preserve my existing MSE mail and folders.

Hopefully I've put enough detail here to settle this so we can get back to
beekeeping.