From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:56:04 -0400
At 12:51 PM 9/11/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Is anyone out there using a hand-held, electricaly heated knife for
>uncapping? If yes, is it working well?

Works well for me.  I simply cut resting against the top and bottom
bars like you said.  Running 8 or 9 frames makes this much easier
as with 10 the comb often doesn't stick out far enough and I have
to use a capping scratcher.

The cappings fall into a small uncapping tank and the honey is
drained from the bottom when full.  This doesn't reclaim all the
honey, but really doesn't do a bad job.  The uncapping tank I use
is about the size of a brood chamber and really isn't big enough
for my 30 hives.  When running 8-9 frames you get a lot of honey
and wax in the tank and it fills up too quickly so I can only work
two hours before letting the tank drain overnight.  I plan on upgrading
this for next year.

-Tim