Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:01:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
>60% formic in fall followed by oxalic in winter. The most successful beekeepers applied 85% formic in August,

I totally agree with the body of Pete's post but feel that it is very important for those not familiar with the application of liquid formic that they understand the critical factor that temperature plays in its effectiveness. My own learning curve was painful. MAQS at the recommended 2 pad dose at the then higher temp. range was devastating. They have since lowered the upper temperature limit and added a 1 pad regimen and I am told improved the paper wrap and shelf life. I digress, I'm not here to argue MAQS. What I have learned is that what is critical is the concentration and time duration of the formic fumes and that is very much a factor of temperature, humidity, and colony strength. I've never been to Luxembourg but my impression is that it is a cooler climate than the typical high 90s to around 100 that I experience in late Aug. Local careful experimentation is needed to find the dose that will be effective with liquid on pads. Too much/too hot will kill all open brood and a lot of sealed brood and a lot of queens. Too
little/too cool is a wast of time. I have had good success with liquid formic in late summer and winter oxalic, (both dribble and vapor) in a harsh winter environment. I don't open and inspect the colonies after the winter application so can't say for sure what the short term effect is but they have always been fine at first spring inspection usually early March. This has happily been a relatively mild winter here but last winter my girls went 85 days without a cleansing flight and except for a severe turd storm in the snow on the first warm day all was well.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2