Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2017 07:08:12 -0500
>Bill said Over the years, I have had colonies chimney up through the hive, ending up at the tops of the frames in the top box (running three deeps).>

I run 3 deeps with all wax foundation, I find this tunneling to be normal and only a problem in years where you get a poor goldenrod flow. Since they never seem to use the honey in the outer 2 frames on each side of each box, in the fall the hive can seem heavy but the bees are actually pretty high up in the second box, so they run out of honey quicker even though they have 10-12 frames of capped honey on the sides.  The other problem is over the years those frames on the side, having never been emptied, get so crystallized that the bees can't use them at all. Every couple of years I rotate them back into the middle so the bees have to use them up.