From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 06:30:23 -0300
> Stan, I checked their website, but couldn't find what proportion of
> Canada's farmers the NFU represents.  Would you know?  I'm curious as to
> whether they are a major voice, or whether they are a minor player, such as
> any of our organic farming organizations in the U.S.?

I also could not find the membership number on the website.   There are
several hundred members at the annual convention.  In PEI they are the
second largest farm organization (a little exceeded by the Federation of
Agriculture, but not by that much).   They have organized protests of tens
of thousands of farmers in Ottawa, and I estimate their membership is in
the tens of thousands.   They are not organic, and not minor, but are
likely not the majority of farmers.

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada, but after today they could be contacted
toll free at 1 877 NFU 2010 for the membership number.

> Do their admirable goals actually have a chance of succeeding in the
> foreseeable future?

I hope "sustainable" has some chance of success.   The alternatives are all
a nasty legacy.

Stan