From:
David Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:47:33 -0500
In a message dated 96-02-20 15:59:18 EST,  David Eyre writes:

>I think it only fair to bring this to your attention, we all seem to be
>using the term 'Buckfast' too easily. My information tells me that there has
>been no importation of 'Buckfast' into the US for many years, with my
>knowledge of bee breeding and the gradual loss of purity I would suggest
>they cannot be called that anymore. It is highly unlikely that the traits
>you are looking for are still there. Buckfast Abbey have a licensing policy,
>and very strict controls of quality. To my knowledge there is no licensing
>agreement between Buckfast and the U.S.A.
>    ****************************************************
>   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
>   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*

Don't let the Weavers in Texas hear you say that. Last I heard they have a
license.  I understand they pay $1 to Buckfast Abbey for every queen sold.  I
have also have read that drone semen is supplied to maintain the stock.
 Granted, that is not the same as a mated queen, but it still is a genetic
transfer. When I had the opportunity to meet Br. Adam in 1993, I asked about
the Weavers and he indicated they still maintained the Buckfast strain.

Regards,
David Morris
Laurel, Md