From:
WILLIAM G LORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 08:27:16 -0500
Dave;

Another question on the "rim" you describe.  What do you make it
out of?  Are you using telescoping covers, or and empty super to
fit this rim under?  I use a sheet of 5/8's underlayment plywood
for my covers and there's not much room for anything underneath.
Are you wintering in a single deep, a story and a half, or two
deeps?  I will start feeding as soon as it warms up a bit, and I
agree about division board feeders and jars and buckets.  I have
settled on one gallon jars over a plywood cover with a three inch
circular hole.  I can see the jars, see how fast the syrup goes
down, and see the bubbles gurgling from the leakers before I leave
the yard.  Still, I don't particularly like using jars.  The lids
stick and rust, the bees glue up the holes, they only hold a
gallon, and they have to be stored.  so, I am still interested in
the dry sugar if I can figure how to get this rim into my hives
without adding an empty super.

For your information, I am an extension agent in northern N.C. and
I run about 120 hives for honey and pollination.  I make dark
honey, but it sells well, and pollinate cucumbers for $30 a hive
(last year's price, probably up to $35 this year).  Its good to
talk to someone from the mid-Atlantic area.

Bill
--
WILLIAM G LORD
E-Mail  : wglord@franklin