From:
John Justin Spaulding III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:41:17 -0500
FREE FREE FREE

We're having a special April Meeting which is open free of charge to
non-members.
(As are all our meetings)

If you have any additional question email me at [log in to unmask] off list.

Worcester County Beekeepers Association

Special April Meeting

Date: Saturday, April 13, 1996

Place: UMASS Medical School (Amphitheater 2)

Plantation St., Worcester, MA

Program Schedule :

8:30 - 9:15 AM Coffee and Danish

9:15 - 10:30 AM Honeybee Viruses and Mites [and their interrelationship]

10:30 - 10:45 AM Coffee Break

10:45 - 12:00 PM Beekeeping in Canada - Industry and Research

Dr. Cynthia Scott-Dupree, of the University of Guelph in Ontario, will
speak to Worcester County
beekeepers on honeybee viruses and their relationship to mites. Dr.
Dupree will examine
the impact of mites on honeybee colonies and their effect on colony
development. This is a problem
that has plagued Worcester County and all of the northeast for the past
two years. In fact, the
1994-1995 beekeeping season saw colony losses of 45% in Worcester County.
We are all
searching for answers to our bee losses and solutions to keep our bees
alive. Dr. Dupree will look
at these questions in her presentation and offer answers and insight. It
is essential for us all to be
informed beekeepers in order to keep our colonies alive, says Ken
Warchol, Worcester County Bee
Inspector. It is for this reason that the Worcester County Beekeepers are
presenting this speaker
and topic. I would strongly urge all beekeepers to attend this
presentation.

The second of our two presentations, entitled Beekeeping in Canada:
Industry and
Research will take a general look at the health of the Canadian
beekeeping industry. Dr. Dupree
will focus on some of the research going on in Canada that deals with
mites, viruses and other
problems. She will also shed some light on what lies ahead for the
beekeeping industry.

This will be a fantastic opportunity for beekeepers to hear one of
Canada's top honeybee experts
and one of the key speakers at the Eastern Apicultural Society's
convention last summer without
leaving Worcester.

Bee informed.......for the good health and survival of your bees!

This special presentation will replace the normal monthly meeting and is
free for
all to attend.

Reduced parking rates apply.

John Spaulding          Associate Curator, Wildlife Center
[log in to unmask]        New England Science Center