From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:01:22 -0500
I have heard this for years. The basic premise that honey contains more
"solids," and the darker the honey...the more so-called solids it contains.
These solids supposedly require more frequent flights to void. I'm not
willing to assume that a darkening agent in honey adds more material that
can't be digested. Pure white milk after all, contains fat. Is rye whisky
thicker than vodka? This color theory is an example of magical thinking.
Next, one wonders just what materials could be in honey and if we stipulate
that they exist.....where does the idea come from that they are negative for
the bees. It seems like the idea may have come to some beekeeper trying to
explain wintering losses and feeling guilty because he took too much honey
off. ("I took the honey but I did it for their own good.")

Dick Marron