From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:28:21 -0500
Hello All,
Breaking the report down.

Demand is high for water white by packers. Always is and always will be to
cut dark foreign honey with. Every drum at my place is white. Did not chase
the dark grades this year!

The Colorado seller found a sucker! Way overpriced and out of line with
current trends.

Perhaps two beekeepers selling *widget honey* to prop up a market.

Happens all the time in the show horse market. You buy my horse for $100,000
and then I buy your horse for 100,000. Then we both have got 100,000 in
sales and the horse buyers think the market  for quality horses is in the
100,000 range. Each gets a 100,000 breeder write off!

Over a dollar a pound for extra light amber alfalfa seems high in today's
market.

Although the market for amber grades is very low the problem is most packers
are not buying the darker bakery grades. Reports are packers are not buying
dark Texas honey, Canola honey and off flavored honey right now.

Several beekeepers with the above lower priced grades I have talked to are
desperate to sell volume.

Those with water white are able to sell but but around half the price they
got two years ago!

The above is only my view point from the beekeepers I have talked to.

Single source honey ( Sage, Tupelo, Sourwood & orange) is in demand and
bringing decent money I have been told but not in large amounts.

Dee might come on and tell us what Sioux is paying. Every time I taste test
a Sioux product I wonder how much melter honey went into the jar? Yes if a
Sioux member the coop will take your old burned melter honey.

Bob