From:
thebeegardens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 07:14:37 +1300
>Pollen is the obvious one of course. There is an anti Varroa product called
Exomite apis.

Pollens, true. But it's much more than that. Free-flying bees will collect
particles from the air, yeasts and bacteria for example. I know Jerry and
Bruce Lighthart have written some papers on this. It isn't clear to me how
specific the process is, are some things collected but not others, is the
same kind of spore always charged the same way and always picked up, that
sort of thing. Bacteria themselves (not just endospores) are found in this
'aerosol', are they likely to be collected? Do bees  get 'earthed' at any
point and will all the particles fall off!

Dave
Otanewainuku, New Zealand.