Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2012 20:35:01 -0400
>Seems to me you beeks that do not have time to place a newspaper between
>brood chambers when combining,

It has nothing to do with time.  It has to do with expertise and experience.

There are lots of things a pro does that would drive a less experienced beekeeper
crazy.

For one thing, most pros I know will pull a centre brood frame first unless the
frames are gummed up or they see another reason to pull a side frame first.

There are exceptions, of course and I know a few who will work from the outside
every time.  To each his own.

As for newspaper, my European friends who don't use newspaper in Canada say
that where they originated in Europe they felt it was necessary due to the climate
and the bees they had.

That said, I combined two sets of two hives yesterday with no newspaper and no
fighting.  I checked especially several times since for _any_ hint of conflict after
hearing all the panic about the dangers, but only see happy bees.