From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:06:38 -0000
"Shook swarming, this picturesque title is applied to a method said to be
widely used in the U.S.A.", writes Snelgrove in 'Swarming Its Control &
Prevention'.

Is it I ask? I believe this method is being tried in the UK not as a swarm
control method but as a means of reducing disease, especially European Foul
Brood, by removing the pathogens in the old comb.

Now that sounds like a good idea to me, especially as I am informed that
given a new home the colony drops to a lower gear and then roars ahead,
producing a good crop by the end of the season.

But have beekeepers the other side of the water experience of this method of
swarm control, I have never seen it mentioned in these pages?

Ken Hoare (Living in Shropshire, a utopia where bee's don't swarm!!!)