From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:06:12 -0700
> My impression from the ABF conference was that everyone has, in a sense,
given up and we have now resorted to 'magic'

I'm seeing a tremendous amount of the same.  The difference between "magic"
or "belief,"  and the scientific method is controlled trials to actually
test for efficacy of the treatment, measured by some objective metric (mite
count, frames of bees, weight gain, etc).  One must compare the data for
identical treatment and control groups kept in the same yard.

That said, there is evidence that some essential oils have promise as either
varroa, nosema, or viral treatments.  The Europeans have tested many
essential oils, some with favorable results, but many had either no
efficacy, or were too toxic to the bees.

I caution all to be careful with kitchen sink homebrews.  Run a trial on two
groups of at least a dozen colonies, for at least a full year, to see if
there are apparent beneficial or negative effects.  I'd hesitate using any
homebrew formula that hasn't at least got that much data behind it.  If you
have such data, please let me know, as I would be very eager to compare it
to published trials by other researchers.

Randy Oliver