From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:14:49 -0700
This might be a little off the wall for this list but would appreciate
any comments you might have about meniere's disease and beekeeping,
specifically being stung.
I have Meniere's, which is a disease of the inner ear. It causes periods
of extream dizziness; ringing in the ear; loss of hearing; and a
"fullness" on the side of the head affected.
One person on the support site I visit told that they had cortisone
shots to help the symptoms, which made me wonder if the beestings I get
as a "benefit" of beekeeping might be helping me in that they keep down
the dizziness and seem to have the disease in check. I have not suffered
from an attack of dizziness since I started keeping bees.
Since there is a good cross section of people on this list and since
meniere's is not that uncommon a disease, if any have it or know
beekeepers who have meniers's, I would appreciate your comments. Did the
dizzy spells stop? Is the disease in check. I still have the ringing,
fullness and hearing loss, so the real question is dizzy spells.
The problem with meniere's is that it is not consistant and is probably
several different diseases so this study will not be very scientific,
but it might lead somewhere.