From:
MelMark ZQB <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 02:01:00 -0700
Maybe this was already mentioned in the stream- but have you thought to try chain link?

 We use chainlink in our apiaries in Upper Peninsula, Michigan- works dandy. No need for power.

Theory AND Reality has it that as the bears grap to pull or climb, the link  shifts and pinches their paws. We made one that was "double decker" meaning we could keep hives inside the cage and on top. We even had mating nucs up top one season. This set up has  worked year after year for the past 10 years. Any hives left outside the cage were munched the first night.

We got "refuse" chainlink from a local fencing co. Threw it over the top and secured the sides with bent nails into gardening posts. We have a padlock on the "gate". Each "cage"  holds a dozen to a dozen and a half hives. This is my first post and I'm not sure how to upload photos. Email me for pics of the chainlink apiaries ([log in to unmask])

 Melanie Kirby