Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:47:29 -0500
Regarding the lack of a label for Canola honey on the store shelves, I
am equally curious about this.   Honey that is labelled as Clover will
probably sell better but I would speculate that most of that clover
honey is blended with canola honey.  Most of the honey we (in Manitoba)
see on the shelf is simply labelled as Pure Honey: CANADA NO; 1 WHITE,
( only the grade) which unfortunately misleads the canadian consumers
into thinking this product is 100% canadian honey when in fact it often
is a blend of canadian and foreign honey or not canadian at all.  A
great share of the honey produced in the three prairie provinces is
derived from the canola crops.  Last year, I would say close to 95% of
my crop came from canola.   A lot of the creamed honey we see on the
shelf is likely to contain canola honey.    I have no customers who
complain about buying my honey which creams itself naturally, no
processing whatsover, just poured in a new container after settling for
a day in the storage tank.  Most can't believe how good it tastes and
that's because its raw, unfiltered honey.   Its too bad there isn't more
of this product on the shelf.  The consumers don't know what they are
missing.  Instead they are buying a product that is heated,blended,
filtered, pasteurized, and this is what the consumer is led to believe
pure honey should taste like.  Its no wonder that the standard
"indoctrinated"  nutritionist will claim that honey has no greater
health merits than do refined sweeteners.

Biodiesel is a terrific energy option. We need to get more smaller cars
with diesel engines in north america, the europeans understand this, why
haven't our auto manufacturers chose this option?  There are many
european models with diesel engines that are simply not available in
north america.  Why is this?  The only one I am aware of is the VW jetta
or passatt that get about 65 miles to the gallon.

There is a biodiesel manufacturing plant being built in either South
Dakota or North Dakota.  This company had tried to set up in
Saskatchewan but something fell though at a political level, most likely
on account of  subsidies, so they moved their plans south.  More
biodiesel consumed will likely provide more markets for canola which is
a good thing I think.

Gilles