From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:03:22 -0400
Peter Edwards writes:  “I am no expert, so I seek an answer from those
who are.”

     I am certainly no expert on viruses either.  In fact, although I do a
lot of things I don’t consider myself an expert at any of them.  But for
what it’s worth here is my thinking as it was when I wrote that last post
in this thread.
     With respect to breeding, I was thinking that there are already too
many things to target in a given breeding program to add targeting
resistance to a specific virus to the list, especially considering how
slippery the little buggers are, and considering how many of them there
are.  Folks on this list like Peter Borst, who have way better access to
the literature than I do, have mentioned studies which have shown several
viruses commonly present at the same time in the same bee.  Some of these
are obviously more virulent than others but any one of them could mutate
into something deadly at just about any time.  As you are breeding for
resistance to one of them up pops another.
     The same thing could be said for trying to develop a vaccine for any
specific virus.  The process has got to be pretty expensive, and they can’t
even get it right for the flu epidemics that visit us humans every year.  A
virus has such an uncanny ability to persist and change.  A lot of people
who got flu vaccinations this year got sick anyway.
     But for bees my thinking is do we really want to go down that road
anyway?  Do we really want to become dependent on vaccines to keep our bees
alive?  I kind of don’t think so, and here’s why. As I mentioned it could
be too expensive for beekeeping purposes, but also bees have been around
for how long now?  And viruses have been around for how long?  They seem to
work things out in their own way.  It may not be convenient for beekeepers,
to put it mildly, but the natural strength of bees to resist viruses has
grown from their periodic exposure to waves of viruses of different degrees
of virulence throughout the millennia.  And so in a very real way the
breeding program is more or less built in.  In fact it has worked so well
maybe we should just stay out of the way on this one.   The ability to
resist is dependent on healthy bees of course, and also on a robust genetic
diversity, and I fear that narrowly focused breeding programs may tend to
shrink that diversity somewhat.  How much, I don’t know.  It has been
talked about a lot on this list, but I don’t get a sense that anybody
really has a good handle on how big the problem is if there is a problem.
     But like I said in my previous post, studying things is good.  You
never know where the next big scientific breakthrough is going to come
from.  It could be that someday someone will discover a way to make viruses
a moot issue for humans and bees.  This will only come from knowing viruses
to the nth deegree.  If they could somehow be eliminated altogether as a
threat then we wouldn’t have to be concerned about maintaining natural
resistance to them at all.  We are not there yet though.  As always these
are just my thoughts on the matter and I welcome anyone else’s constructive
analysis (criticism) of what I have said.

Steve Noble