From:
Tim Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:30:17 -0500
Ted Fischer wrote:

> Botulism spores are everywhere (honey, fruit and
> vegetables, etc.) . . .

Tom Elliott pointed out:

It should be made clear that in the vast majority of newborns, the
digestive system is sufficiently developed to prevent the gemination and
survival of the botulin spores.  It is only the rare infant that is
suceptable.  . . .

In such a case what could the infant be fed?  But more to the case, I have searched out long and hard and cannot find one case where an infant was the victim of botulism from honey(I believe that this has been stated before on this list).
Four of our five children were safely fed honey at young ages, and the fifth, born today, will probably sample some honey - I suspect without problem.
Our (United States) medical advice sometimes seems contrary to itself.  Like "do not feed your children eggs until they are at least one year old" -- and then they ask you if you infant is allergic to eggs (how do you know if you followed their advice?) when they immunize at 3 months _because the immunization used has egg in it_!

Sometimes I think that God gave us a head - and we just need to use it when receiving advice from others.  I agree with Tom's closing thought:

"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tim Rich