From:
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 12:01:27 -0600
Hi:  Having discovered the first IBM boot sector virus on the UM campus,
I had to become a sort of overnight expert.  Viruses are pesky and are
being produced at such a fast rate that even the best anti-virus programs
may miss some.  A good example is a nasty bit of work called the INT-10
virus that keeps popping up on our sister campus.  It really does a job
on hard disks.  First time it appeared (about 1 yr ago) we tried six
anti-virus programs.  One found INT-10 but could not fix it, one was able to
detect and fix it, and four totally missed it.

Norton puts out a good product.  We use Norton and one other program,
which is either available for free or for a very minimal charge.  The
program is called F-Prot.  One of our compyuter gurus says the author of
F-Prot is a world class security expert.  Over the years, F-Prot has found
more viruses than any other program that I have used, public domain or
commercial.

It certainly is a best buy.  Look for it on the web, you can get it via
an FTP site.

Cheers

Jerry Bromenshenk

http://grizzly.umt.edu/biology/bees