From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:57:57 -0700
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 1:04 PM
Subject: Pesticide Alert

I just received my catalogue from Betterbee and it contained the
following information.  I do not know the accuracy of the information
but it is very interesting to say the least.  I am posting it word for
word as follows:
"Three thousand French Beekeepers demonstrated for 3 days in late
October in front of a Bayer pesticide factory in Cormery.  They were
demonstrating against an organo-phosphate pesticide made by Bayer
called Imidacloprid.  It is sold in France as Gaucho for seed
treatment, Confidor, a spray for fruit trees, and Advantage, a
treatment against fleas on dogs and cats.  As most organo-phosphates
are, Imidacloprid is a neuro-toxin.  The beekeepers, especially in the
sunflower growing areas, feel that they are losing bee population in
their hives as the result of the presence of small quantities of the
pesticide in the nectar of the plants.  When the seeds are treated, the
pesticide spreads through the plant as it grows.  From the farmer's
point of view, this delivery system is ideal because it necessitates
only an initial treatment and minimizes labor.  The Dutch government
has banned its use completely in open air situations.  It evidently
also leaves a residue in the soil that completely destroys the
earthworm population that is so important to soil conservation.  It
also gets into weeds and other crops grown in the same ground.  French
beekeepers maintain they have lost thousands of colonies to this
pesticide and a sister organo-phosphate called Fibronil produced by
Aventis and are calling on the French government to remove both
products from the market.  While all this is taking place in Europe,
you guessed it, the Canadian and U.S. governments are getting ready to
approve the use of these pesticieds on crops in the U.S..  You are
going to be reading a lot about this in 2001 - stay informed, stay
involved."

Food for thought and, as stated above, shows the importance on staying
informed and involved.
Craig

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/