From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 19:28:04 -0500
james kilty wrote:
>My colleague Rodger Dewurst, ,,, has shown that you can
>select these different behaviours for a breeding programme relying on
>open mating (our bees do Apiary Vicinity Mating in poorer weather) and
>improve the stock steadily.

Hello James,

When you look at the research being conducted on the honeybee genome.  One
thing that I find fascinating is that compared with other insects,
honeybees have only one-third as many genes involved in recognizing and
killing their microbial enemies. This is interesting considering a
honeybee spends more than 95 percent of its life in a crowded, moist 94-
degree indoor environment hospitable to bacteria and parasites.
Scientist believe honeybees have no need for many immune system genes
because they have evolved specialized traits in place of them.  This
illustrates just how very important it is for the beekeeper to select for
traits essential for the health of the colony.

I have had success in selecting behaviors that are showing up in daughter
colonies.  I was specifically selecting for grooming abilities after
seeing how very intense grooming is in some feral lines.  Wing power is
another trait I have observed in some woodland ferals that is much more
apparent during the initial 18 weeks of colony growth.  This trait seems a
bit tricky to select because I can easily identify which ferals forage
further distances when I place them in a poor forage location for
assessments.  But when these colonies are  moved to my apiaries in the
farmland where nearby forage is very abundant, these lines tend to perform
about the same, maybe only a bit better during the flow, but during the
summer dearth, they do much better it seems because of the ability to
forage a greater distance for meager forage.

He argues
>that our weather patterns here in West Cornwall will often produce
>"compression" which may account for intermittent increases in damage,
>but also night will increase congestion and the likelihood of grooming.

This is interesting that you have observed this.   I have seen this
increase of grooming at certain times.  Grooming seems most prevalent in
my colonies during what I describe as ‘down time’ in the morning hours
before flights begin in earnest, mostly during warm mornings on the
landing boards, bees can be seen passing the time grooming.  Compression
is an interesting term to describe it, but perhaps grooming is a chore
that is initiated mostly during down time, when the nectar drying and
other chores are finished.

>He has also observed, as have many on this list, social grooming dances
>and auto-grooming,

I’m seeing very little auto-grooming in my bees.  But what I am seeing is
a very intense propensity for allo-grooming.  On some mornings,  allo-
grooming can be so intense on the landing boards, it can occasionally look
like a robbing event.  I have seen hundreds of bees so evolved in social
grooming, and often grooming bees will be so involved they will fall off
the landing board to the ground, then fly back up to the landing board.
During these early morning hours there will be intence grooming and bee
activity on the entrance, but not a bee will be found flying, indicating
it is not a robbing event.

>where a bee removes a mite itself from its back using
>its hind legs and others then take the mite away after a "shiver dance".

I have heard many describe this dance,  but I’m not seeing this particular
grooming solicitation as many describe.  What I have seen can only be
described as a ’freeze dance’.  The bee will hunch it’s back and freeze,
and immediately, 1 or 3 bees will begin to vigorously groom her.

>Like others, I believe the chewing, which is first observable in a
>"pepperpot pattern" of brood in the spring, is an attempt by the bees to
>get at varroa in a pupa which is showing the adults that it is
>distressed but cannot get to it without removing the pupa bit by bit.

What perplexes me about chewing down is that there seems to be two
separate behavioral components at play.  The bees will uncap the cell to
reveal the pupa in the purple eyed stage.  BUT, they often choose to allow
the cell to remain uncapped for several days before chewing down the
pupa.  Because the pupa is allowed to remain undamaged in the cell after
the cell is uncapped, wouldn’t you assume from this that the pupa is alive
and well?,,, and the cause for uncapping not pupa distress?  And because
the bees do not immediately chew down the pupa to get the varroa after
uncapping, wouldn’t you assume from this that the bees are not after the
varroa?,,, because if they were uncapping due to varroa, wouldn’t you
expect them to rapidly continue chewing down the pupa immediately after
uncapping the cell to get to the varroa?

So my question is, what is the trigger to uncap the cell,  and what is the
separate trigger that causes the bees to begin chewing down the pupa a day
or two later?

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'