From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 15:02:57 -0700
>I stick with my prior post and say to test a percentage of the largest
population hives and *if* you get a high reading with even *one* then treat
the whole yard.

In total agreement with you, Bob.  Spend your time testing the strongest
hives.  Hobbyists can certainly manage on a colony by colony basis, however,
but need to watch closely.  Generally less mite pressure in small apiaries.

>most of us feel based on years of dealing with varroa that two treatments a
season will be needed in the U.S.

Depends upon what the treatment is--most of my colonies require 4 treatments
with "natural" treatments.  Those using off label treatments in Calif
generally also require more than two. Again, many hobbyists in my area
getting by with zero to two treatments.

Randy Oliver