From:
Kelly DiSaia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:01:06 -0500
Hi,
I was told that you might be able to help me with an investigation I am
doing for one of my college classes. I am a middle school education major
and I am conducting a science investigation that might be appropriate for
middle school students to do. Here are the details: During the summer I
discovered a number of bees in my attic which I later determined to be
yellowjackets. They were eventually exterminated but I was unable to
retrieve the nest because it was too far back in between the walls of the
house. I have some questions about why these bees chose to nest in my attic
and about their behaviors.
1. Are there different types of yellow jackets? How can I determine what
type of yellowjacket was in my attic?
2. Is it common for these bees to nest in homes and attics? Why?
3. What do their nests look like?
4. Do yellowjackets produce honey like regular bees?
5. What is the hierarchy among the yellowjackets?
6. Why are they so aggressive?
I hope that you will be able to answer some of my questions. If you can't I
would appreciate it if you could direct me to someone who can. Thank you for
your time and I hope to hear from you soon.
Kelly DiSaia [log in to unmask]