From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:03:12 -0400
> The number of hives is not the most relevant factor in this context, beekeepers will strive to make up lost numbers or make increase according to economic and environmental pressures.

This is true, of course. While greater losses can be compensated for by dividing or replacing the lost colonies, this represents a significant cost. If the profit margin is slim, this kind of added expense could be untenable.

On the other hand, I was reading an old issue of Bee Culture and it described in some detail the Adee methods of increasing bees. The really astute beekeepers long ago perfected ways of essentially pulling rabbits out of hats.

The successful beekeeper is certainly one who spends a significant amount of time propagating hives.

PLB