From:
João Campos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:26:05 -0300
There is a device that many of us are using to better deal with
irritable bees in some situations. It's called "inverted escape" and
has the same functionality of the escape board, but it's put just
before the entrance, to only admit bees inside the hive.

You can some pictures of it here:
<http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/jbacampos/escape.htm>

For example, when we have to mow the grass around the apiary, it's
enough to put the inverted escapes on and tape the cracks/holes. Then
we can start mowing immediately, because the only bees flying around
will bee the returning foragers, and they won't atack.

When working in a apiary with many "difficult" colonies, prone to
much aggression and robbery, inverted escapes are also an option to
"isolate" each hive being worked. I had this situation once.

In 30 minutes or so, most of the bees are inside their hives, and
don't get out. So the inverted escape can also be used to collect the
bees anytime during the day, just before moving the hive to another
place, for example. The inverted escape can also be used as the only
ventilation screen for short periods of time, depending on the
ambient temperature. Some beekeepers who work with apple pollination
in the southern Brazil use only inverted escapes when moving the
hives, but they place the hives on the truck in a way that makes the
ventilation of every hive more likely.

I don't know if this device is popular, or even avaiable, outside
Brazil, because I have never read about it in foreign writings.
Anyway, for those who keep not-so-gentle bees, even once in while, I
think it can be of some help.

Best regards.

João Campos
Porto Alegre - Brazil