Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:19:50 -0800
> In Texas during spring many beeks raise & sell queens/cells. Most of us
> prefer cells due to the lower cost and time is not an issue as it will be
> a couple months before the hives will be shipped north. Later in the
> spring mated queens are preferred.

Bob, I know we have discussed this before, but am not sure we ever reached a
consensus.

Personally, I figure that there is very little difference in timing or
acceptance between mated queens and ripe cells.

It is maybe a matter of a few days in the first matter, assuming ripe cells
are used, and assuming that the queens are not direct into'd, (which some
brave and capable beekeepers do if conditions are right), and a few percent
in the second matter -- if the cells are good and checked in advance.

I figure the cells have an advantage in that the queen emerges and is mated
in the hive without introduction and travel stress.  Moreover, most
production yards have lots of drones, but we always wonder about the drone
supply at the breeders' yards.

What is your experience and your thoughts?

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/nutrition2.htm
---
It is not every question that deserves an answer.
Publilius Syrus (~100 BC), Maxims