From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:22:47 -0400
Bob writes:
>With the above final word on "disappearing disease"

I am sorry, but since Bob did not give the date on that snippet, I
have no way of knowing if this is more final or not:

JOVAN M. KULINCEVIC, WALTER C. ROTHENBUHLER, and THOMAS E. RINDERER
WROTE IN *1984*

A prominent hypothesis over the last few years has involved some sort
of stock deterioration. It has been suggested that such deterioration
may have resulted:

1) from the admixture of African bee genes to the gene pool of North
American bees,
2) from excessive inbreeding of bee stocks, or
3) from the maladaptation to northern climates of bees reared over
many generations in the South.

If such genetic weaknesses exist, it should be possible to obtain
evidence of them by a careful comparison of DD with non-DD stocks in
the same location. Furthermore, such an investigation should reveal
something about the range of variation in North American bees.

Is there sufficient variation to insure success for a program of
genetic selection, or are our bees reduced to a uniform genetic
mediocrity? Do we have the genetic variation to deal successfully with
Africanized bees? ... From our data we can offer NO support for the
genetic hypothesis of DD.

* I can send the entire 28 page report to anyone who wants it. I don't
make this stuff up.

--
Peter L Borst
Danby, NY USA