Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:01:57 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
Peter,
Thanks for your reply to my points and questions.
Here are my thoughts:
What I meant by "all its forms" was: There are several symptoms that are displayed by infected brood
- colour change, typical range of position, viscosity of tissue, scale formation.

AFB infected brood usually dies after sealing has taken place - but not always. It may occur before
sealing takes place.
I have seen AFB infected brood in very limited numbers - and it was impossible to state whether it
was EFB or AFB - the cells were open.
Brood dying after cells have been sealed also occurs.
These are symptoms that are not "classic" and therefore allow for confusion.

AFB infected pupae may "rope" if poked at the right stage of putrefaction, but they will not show
this trait before and after a certain stage in decay.

You mention that EFB does not show symptoms as found with AFB - then go on to list several! - all
confusing the situation for the inexperienced.

I suggest that AFB may be confused with EFB, but EFB is less likely to be confused with AFB (this
statement may at first seem illogical!).

AFB may show symptoms that may be seen/ associated with EFB, as well not presenting "classic
symptoms".
Hence my position that it is practically impossible to make a definite diagnosis of AFB in the
field.
The chances of correctly diagnosing EFB in the field is much better by comparison.

I look for and find symptomatic the presence of trachea that are evident to the naked eye whilst
attempting to diagnose EFB infected brood.

I bow to your position regarding the testing kit - I have no experience with this material.
I also agree totally in the need to educate beekeepers - at least so that they are able to
distinguish at least between healthy and sick brood. They then should call in an expert, or send off
a sample of the suspected material to gain confirmation of its status. Beekeepers should also be
educated that when an infection occurs it is not a sin or reflection upon themselves as being
incompetent . The irresponsible attitude is expressed when nothing is done or a cover up is
attempted. This latter situation occurs frequently as other beekeepers are tempted to point fingers
and "bad mouth" unlucky individuals.

Wishing you seasons free from both of the above!
Regards,
Peter.

PS: "Para Foul Brood symptoms are very similar to those seen in AFB and EFB, with individuals
complaining that things don't become better after treating with OTC.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2