From:
William G Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 14:52:16 -0500
In reference to Donovan Bodishbaugh's query about Andy Nachbaur's
comments, I think I can shed some light.  I think the first problem
we encounter is the fact that beekeeping is not taken seriously by
much of anyone except beekeepers.  I saw yet another pun-ridden
piece on bees on the CBS Evening News last week that reinforced my
conviction that journalists simply find it impossible to write an
objective piece on bees or beekeeping, they love to load it up with
puns.  Does this imply disrespect?

Secondly, our major commodity is something that Americans can
clearly live without, or per capita consumption would be much
higher that one pound per person.  Look at the clout of the sugar
producers, and relate it to sugar consumption (over 100 pounds per
person per year).  Is there a connection here?  (Granted the sugar
people have used Cuba and the rred threat very effectively to
maintain their program).

Thirdly, the AHPA and Honey Producers really push the pollination
story to its limits (and I have helped in the popular press), but
I don't know if this carries any credibility with the public.  Once
you get past stings and honey, it seems much of the public and
politicians lose the train of thought.  Beekeepers have been cast
as bearers of botulism (and sudden infant death syndrome), welfare
junkies living on honey loan programs, and now, accomplices to the
pending invasion of killer bees.  We just don't get no respect
(sic), do we?

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC
--