From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:01:05 -0500
There are many discussions in the archives about the economics of
pollination. Generally, successful pollinators know their true costs.
The problem is in first weeding out the ones who depress the market by
charging less than their actual costs, either through ignorance or a
desire to get contracts. It is usually the former.

In more than a couple of years it would have been more economical to
keep bees in Florida for the honey than bring them north for
pollination. But then you would lose the pollination contract in other
years when the economics were reversed. It all boils down to the
obvious. The most successful pollinators are the best businessmen first
and beekeepers second.

In my area here in Maine, there were several "hobby" pollinators who
mostly pollinated blueberries. I know of only one left and he is
tenuous. Since he sells his honey retail, most years he is losing money
pollinating. Your colonies can go into a blueberry field heavy and come
out light. Plus, he picked up AFB from other pollinators which lead to
loss of those colonies and equipment. If you do not keep good records of
what it is actually costing you, it looks like you are making money (he
has a well paying day job). Which is why he still does it.

After seeing what pollinators go through here in Maine, I am amazed that
they do what they do. It is a difficult, marginal business. But it is
also essential.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine