From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:21:29 -0600
Peter Borst wrote:
>I am just wondering, why would you want to try to make this?
>No handmade foundation is ever as good as factory made,
>and I doubt that it's cheaper unless you are in a remote situation.

Yes, remote situations.  For developing economies, especially, building
one's own equipment allows beekeepers to add more value and reduce reliance
on imports.

As a Peace Corps volunteer I struggled with a metal foundation mold
(waffle-style, 1980's), and always had problems with sticking wax.  It
greatly slowed our production, regardless of the release agent we used.

I hope someone has built a practical, low-cost mold by now.  I am asked this
question several times a year by readers of web site section on Fiji.

-John

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://home.earthlink.net/~jcaldeira/beekeeping/