From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:55:30 -0500

>On Thu, 30 Nov 1995  Ian Stuart McLean <[log in to unmask]> wrote :
>
>> What you say is probably true but Supercedure is also an inheritable trait.
>> Here in the UK the British Isles Bee Breeders Association (BIBBA), who
 make a feature of breeding queens that supercede. They are very useful in
reducing colony swarming  , which is a problem in the UK.

>Jean-Marie Van Dyck wrote  Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:16:40>
>Here in Belgium, almost all the beebeekers know and use the anecbalic
>term to caracterize some big colonies which years after years are
>replacing their queens without any swarming. This supercedure occurs

While I agree, in my opinion supercedure has a number of disadvantages. It
usually means the bees are unhappy with the current Queen, whether it is
early or late season is immaterial. Either way the hive is in decline as the
current queen is not laying to capacity. When I breed queens and send them
to the "dancehall" for mating I want to know which drones she met up with.So
to my mind, I want to know the pedigree of my queens. Scrubs of unknown
origin cause terrible problems.
        Apart from changing a weak or failing queen how does supercedure
prevent swarming. The usual reasons for swarming are I believe, Congestion,
Too much heat, weak or old queen, honeybound,  all of which are the keepers
problem.
        Congestion......give more space
        Too much heat ......ventilate
        Weak or old .......requeen
        Honeybound.......more boxes.
So where does supercedure fit into this picture??
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *