From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:33:19 -0400
Susan in St. Louis wrote:
>>Does anyone have an opinion or experience using 3 mediums instead of 2
deeps
for the brood chamber?  Also any reference sources would be appreciated.  I
try to do my homework :)<<

I have figured out that it will cost more.  Look through the catalog of
your favorite bee supplier and do the math.  I believe that you'll find
it's more expensive wood and foundation wise.

Also, your bees will not have as much comb space inside the hive.  There
will be twice as much bee space between the three mediums as there is
between just two deeps.  More of the resulting space will be woodenware
frames.  Of course this may be overcome by using plastic frames instead of
wood.

While the individual bodies will be lighter there will be more work.  Fifty
percent more frames to manipulate.  If your bees are prone to build burr
comb, you'll have more burr comb to deal with as well.

I can't see a whole lot of advantages for going to mediums for hive bodies
but I clearly see several disadvantages - most important for me is higher
cost.

If anyone has more reasons why you should go to 3 medium hive bodies I'd
like to hear them.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX, USA