From:
STEVE PHILLIPS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:41:05 -0500
There have been a couple posts on hive placement and the merits of
shade,  partial shade, or sun.

I live in northeast Kansas.  This is only my second year keeping bees, so
take my comments for what they are worth, which may not be too much.

I have several hives in a location in which they get morning sun but
afternoon shade, and several  more hives which get full sun all day.  My
hives in full sun have for both years yielded substantially more honey,
swarmed less, and just generally been stronger than those which get
afternoon shade.  Maybe this is due to other factors-- I don't know.

On hot days the bees in full sun do hang on the fronts, fanning the hives.
I worried about this the first year, thinking I was being cruel leaving them
in the sun.  Since they have done so much better than the partially
shaded hives,  however, I've got to wonder if my concerns weren't just
a bit of anthropomorphisizing on my part.  Just because I'm
uncomfortable when it's 100 doesn't mean an insect is.

I may move all my hives to full sun.