Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:21:54 GMT+0200
 Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

About AHB and using a pipe to stop blowing on them.

I actually find working my bees that blowing on them is usefulat
times as it makes them move away if they are swarming and seeing as
the sting response is generally inactivated, they don't rise up  and
sting as normal.

There are drawbacks. It is better to wear a veil when blowing the
remainder of a swarm of a branch. This however reduces the ariflow. I
therefore used to not wear a veil, until I inhaled a bee and it stung
me on my little tonge. Felt like a crocodile was hanging on it for
about five hours and it made eating very unpleasant.

So yes, african honeybbes do react to carbon dioxide, but I don't
know how the reaction is with AHB?

Keep well

GArth

---
Garth Cambray       Kamdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800ml annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

3rd year Biochemistry/Microbiology    Rhodes University
In general, generalisations are bad.
Interests: Flii's and Bees.