From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:30:31 -0400
  REGARDING           RE> Apis cerana

Jeffrey R. Tooker writes:
"I was looking in "Social Behavior of Bees"  by Michener (1974) for Apis
Cerana and it said they were from the far east (where I think varroa come
from)and that they were dying out as more A. Melifra were being brought in.
Is there anything being done with A. Cerana crosses for Vmite resistance?"

True, Apis cerana, the Indian honey bee, was the original host of Varroa
jacobsoni mites.  These bees are able to co-exist with the mites, a fact which
makes study of their habits important in knowing what mite resistant qualities
to look for in Apis mellifera.  Dr. Roger Hoopingarner at Michigan State Univ.
(among others I suspect) has been evaluating several factors which allow A.
cerana to hold their own, including a shortened interval within sealed brood
cells, grooming behavior, hygienic behavior, and perhaps other factors.  These
factors are present in strains of A. mellifera, as well, and could be selected
for in producing mite resistant bees.  I doubt that actual crosses with A.
cerana would be possible, because these bees are quite a bit smaller in size
than A. mellifera.

Ted Fischer