From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:37:48 -0400
As some know I have been going through some health problems and only
recently finished up with bronchitis and a dislocated kneecap. So my
bees were a low priority over the past 12 months. It was only through
some help last fall, that I was finally able to treat them and prevent
the loss of all my colonies. As is, I lost one, and had three weak hives
plagued with Varroa going into the winter, which leads to the reason for
this post.

At different times I have been asked to speak to bee clubs (one this
next weekend on getting ready for winter). I have been embarrassed,
recently, to do so because of my total absence in the bee yard. Last
year, after losing one colony, I decided to just leave it there and
buttoned it up to prevent robbing, until I could check just what killed
it. In the spring, I gave it a quick check and it was Varroa, not foul
brood. A short time later one hive tipped over and was wide open
overnight during a rain. So I figured if I had one or two colonies make
it I would be happy, but expected none. All three did.

I could not reverse them in the spring nor do any swarm controls so just
let them be. I only put two supers on each before my leg went out and
bronchitis hit, so could not add more. In all, the perfect picture of
one of George's BeeHAVERS.

I asked my son to help me with my first extraction after the clover flow
(much in the archives on why I do this- all from George Imire) and had
six filled supers. I put on the bee escapes and the next morning pulled
the supers only after I killed my knee again and, when twisting, opened
my veil and had about 10,000 bees start sting my forehead, so took off a
glove to close the veil and had another 10k start at my elbow and work
down. I figured about 25 stings in all, not really bad, but all because
of my stupidity and carelessness. However, since I sting myself, anyway
for arthritis and the Melanoma, figured it for an extensive apitherapy
session.

Put the supers back on (part of winter management) with not one sting,
and when I checked my barn where I store the old supers and frames,
noticed some bees flying into old equipment. I normally have them
stacked straight so there are no openings for the bees, but saw that one
was slightly askew, so decided to let them clean out whatever might be
there.

When I checked them the next week, they were still flying in and out,
but with a nice regular pattern as if it was a live colony. It was. They
had set up shop in the hive bodies, so I let them be with a plan to move
them this winter, when they were all settled in.

Remember the old dead hive that I never broke down and stored? Well I
planned to use it to replace some older, worn hive bodies and frames
when my knee recovered, so I left it where it was. I have never had a
swarm settle in a vacant hive, so no problem. Until today. It is alive
and well and going like gangbusters.

In 2001 I was awarded beekeeper of the year by our State Organization. I
said then, and I have to repeat it now, that the best beekeepers have
good bees. This year I was a terrible beekeeper (it is a good thing they
do not ask to give back awards) but my good bees have rewarded me with
five strong colonies going into the winter and I did everything wrong. I
only wanted three!

Am I hanging my head in shame? No. Mostly laughing at the joy of keeping
such interesting creatures that continue to surprise and humble.

So take heart, all of you that are new to keeping bees. It is a fun
hobby in which there is something new every year, and you learn a lot
from your bees (and the BeeL). Plus, bees are often, as in my case,
better beekeepers than the beekeeper.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine