From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2017 08:08:40 -0500
I am new to this Listserv/Forum. I am a beekeeper on the Island of Newfoundland, Canada.

Somewhat like the Isle of Man in the U.K., we beekeepers in Newfoundland enjoy a special status in that we are free of Varroa destructor, tracheal mites, AFB, EFB, SHB, wax moths, Nosema ceranae and various viruses that plague honey bees elsewhere in the world. However, we do have chalk brood, Nosema apis, and a number of viruses such as DWV, BQCV, etc. DWV appears to be completely non-apparent in the absence of Varroa.

We would like to maintain our relatively pathogen free status for as long as possible, for obvious reasons, and that's why we support enhanced regulation by our provincial government with respect to the importation of honey bees, bumble bees, and used beekeeping equipment. At the same time we need to import genetics in order to foster resistance to various nasties (we have a limited gene pool with about 500 colonies, only two serious breeders). The safest options re. minimizing the risk of importing nasties seems to be semen and eggs. We will need to quarantine apiaries with the introduced genetics.

We have provincial government import restrictions in place that require prospective importers to apply for a government permit.  A recent importation of 130 packages of bees from Western Australia went through the Canadian Food Inspection Agency import system (with a zoosanitary import certificate from WA) and was 100% sampled for pathogens, pests and diseases, with testing by the National Bee Diagnostic Centre in Beaverlodge, Alberta.  There is a 1 year quarantine in place which prevents the importers from transferring their bees (through nuc, queen sales, etc.) outside of their apiaries which expires next month.  However, 30 of the packages were brought to the North East Avalon portion of the province where there are numerous apiaries, and where their overlapping honey bee flight radii make the quarantine protocol somewhat problematic.

I am looking for specifics on quarantine protocols used elsewhere in the world with respect to queen, semen, or packaged bee importations to inform my thinking about the best protocols for future importations to Newfoundland. What constitutes best practices or the most robust quarantine protocols once live bees are brought to an area that is free of Varroa and the other pathogens, pests and diseases I listed above?  Would appreciate your assistance with this matter.