From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 06:32:53 -0400
>    Within only 1 week after their queen dies or is removed by beekeepers,
> Africanized worker bees—which are female—can produce their own viable eggs
> for requeening the hive.
>    That gives the Africanized bees a headstart in the battle for hive rule,
> because European worker bees’ ovaries can’t start producing eggs until the
> queen has been missing for at least 3 weeks. Queenless Africanized workers
> that have developed ovaries and are laying their own eggs are less likely to
> accept a new European queen—and may attack and kill her.

I did not notice any comments on this news release, but, to me, it suggests
that both AHB and EHB can lay worker eggs.
I think the cape bee and AHB are being lumped together here, but the cape
bee was also mentioned in the post, so what is going on?
If true, I need to tell my bees of the new development, since they seem to
be old school and do not have access to the internet.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME