From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 01:20:34 -0400
Too much hearsay
On this BBS only 3-4 admit to ccd,
perhaps 1-2 witnesses, its hard to tell

There's something wrong here.

Instead of specificy me get theorizing

Just my simple observation (unfortunately unconfirmed),
that ants can be severely affected by ccd
should give a clue as to what it is NOT

(BTW this is a good "me too" test - 1 week)
(Do ants rob or avoid?)

You all know you can stop a yard crash with formic - right?
If hot, weaker formic, add H2O.
Pull supers, Fresh empties, any honey is bee feed
How much honey can a sick hive make?
Its better if they don't crash, less contamination

I think formic is a mild viral fumigant, just a guess.
(on the surface of the bee - all that hair - grooming)

Me too -- is it really ccd?
If there are still hives left, your choice is a sick,
but not yet weak hive close to a (empty)dead out/collapse.
Before inspection set up a ramp,
as per hiving a swarm, a bit big.
At end of inspection shake 2-3 frames onto ramp.
Try to minimize nectar spray
Close hive
You are interested in the last 10-20% on the ramp, the laggards
These bees will show symptoms or not or different
If you see all 3 commonest(also unconfirmed), (STR, ankle rub, feet too
close)
get out the formic pads for all hives
How sure do want to be and for what reason
If you're really sure it was ccd, I recommend a 2nd formic treatment.
(ie 6-8 weeks)

I do wish there was something else, I quite dislike formic
Fortunately the bees don't share my opinion

I wish some of you would "get with it", as few as you may be

Our little friends/servants/slaves are going thru their short
lives with sore guts,perhaps a majority of their adult lives.
Wake a mile....

And yet no one "sees them".

Maybe X is 'released'/made more infectious  by stress
ie transport, mites, toxins (I'm not sure what)
If they had nothing else but corn pollen that might be enough stress
or is it the bees can't handle unusual stress well and fail?
Then the infection runs wild, has lots of vectors
Since I saw sedentary hives overwhelmed with ease (in retrospect)
I guess more infectious via quicker cycle

dave