Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 1994 10:39:40 GMT
     I also put the top/quilt back by sliding it across from one corner on
     the diagonal and then slipping it around square. This seems to give
     the Bees more of a chance to escape.

     Carl

Subject: Re: squashed bees
Author:  Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]> at Internet
Date:    17/02/94 06:59

Edited

Speaking of smooshing bees, in the peak of summer when the hives are
> full, there are always bees on the top edge of the hive body when you go
> to replace the inner cover or a super.  What's the best trick to keep
> from killing so many?  Brushing them away doesn't work, since they crawl
> back out on brushed edges when brushing another?  I feel guilty killing so
> many bees whenever putting a hive back together.
>
> -Mike

        Before you close the hive give it a good dose of smoke to
get the bees below the top edge of the hive body and off the top
of the frames.

Rob.