Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:15:12 -0500
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Swintosky, Michael D. wrote:
>
> > We know that ANY new species introduced to an environment is going to
> > produce change...
>
> We do not know anything of the kind. The above statement clearly is
> "opinion." More likely, in a world governed largely by chance, the result
> is just the opposite, most adventive populations ultimately failing to
> become established. Those of us who work in biological control know this
> all too well.

Since we are on a bit of a soapbox, this leads into one of my favorite
subjects. If we are just another part of nature we should be careful about
labeling change evil. We are no more evil than an ice age. If honeybees
were to crowd out a preexisting population then it is because the honeybee
has a repoductive advantage, beekeepers!

The genes that give a honeybee a reproductive advantage are the exact same
ones we as beekeepers are looking for. This is another example of one
species working with another.